Mon, Feb 14|
Visibility and Advocacy Day
Change happens when we're visible, proud, and empowered. Join us in Pierre for a day of advocacy and lobbying.
Time & Location
Feb 14, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM CST
Pierre, 500 E Capitol Ave, Pierre, SD 57501, USA
About the event
If you’ve ever thought to yourself, “my vote and my voice doesn’t matter. South Dakota politicians aren’t listening to me.”
Well, you’re not alone. But, you may want to rethink that.
Time and time again, queer South Dakotans and our allies prove that we can indeed impact change in the state. It just takes effort and time combined with community.
That’s where you come in!
Join Equality South Dakota, the Transformation Project Advocacy Network, the Black Hills Center for Equality, the Human Rights Campaign, TransAction South Dakota, the Cheyenne River Grassroots Collective, Watertown Love, GSAs and BSUs of South Dakota, and the Pierre Area Center for Equality at the 2022 Visibility and Advocacy Day.
At this event, all are welcome to connect with their lawmakers in person to discuss bills, issues, in their communities, and more. The important thing to keep in mind is that this day is for raising awareness of how LGBTQ+ and Two Spirit folks are keyed into the legislative process, and we're paying attention.
So be sure to set up a time with your lawmakers to chat.
- Visibility and Advocacy Day
- Monday, Feb. 14, 2022, 10 a.m. CT - 2 p.m. CT
- Capitol Rotunda, Pierre, SD
- Be sure to don some rainbow somewhere in your attire to show your PRIDE! That could be a pin, your favorite shirt, a tie, or whatever you choose.
SCHEDULE OF THE DAY
- 10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Meet with lawmakers and explore the Capitol or attend a committee meeting in the Senate Health & Human Services, House Judiciary, or Senate State Affairs.
- 11:30 a.m. Rally and Speeches (Tentative, lineup TBD)
- Noon - 1 p.m. Lunch provided
- 1 p.m. - 2 p.m. Caucus Meetings
- 2 p.m. and onward Observe floor sessions in the Senate and House
Online registration for meetings with lawmakers is open now, please indicate on our form if you’d like to be connected with your legislator(s) virtually or in person at our event. If you aren’t comfortable meeting with your lawmaker in person or virtually, consider writing them a letter! Find tips at eqsd.org today.
Please be sure to wear a tight fitting mask and if you aren't feeling well, stay home.